Saturday 13 February 2010

Voters Forcing Resignation of "their" MP.

On 15th December 2009 I wrote a letter and headed it "Open Letter to all of the UK's MPs", a copy of this was published on this site. I wish to record my sincere thanks to the providers of this facility for this absolutely fantastic service.

On 16th December 2009 I sent a copy of the letter to the leaders of our three main political parties, I asked them to kindly arrange for a copy to be given to each of their MPs. Not one of the letters to the leaders has been acknowledged and I do not know if any MP received a copy of my "Open" letter.

The open letter asked for three new pieces of legislation to be introduced, preferably before the next election. The first piece of suggested legislation was "Voters need to be able to force the immediate resignation of "their" MP". Mr Cameron, maybe a year ago, did raise the issue of MPs being recalled by the voters in the MP's constituency, I subsequently formed the opinion that Mr Clegg, in principle, was not averse to the idea, evidently several American States can do something similar. In my blog, Politics One, on this site I suggested several ways in which such legislation could be formulated. These ways are broadly similar to those I wrote in a self published book about two years ago.

In the last couple of weeks it has dawned on me, rather forcibly, that many MPs would be very averse to passing that particular piece of legislation, at this moment, as it could be used by angry voters to force the resignation of MPs whom they thought had exploited the expenses regulations. Perhaps such legislation could be enacted, by this government, with a starting date of 01 August 2010. I feel that it is an essential piece of legislation.

In my next blog I will deal with the second and third suggestions mentioned. Thank you.

Frederick W Gilling Saturday 13 February 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment